NCR – Non-Conformance Report or Non-Conformity Report is issued when a non-conformance or non-compliance is observed.
When a product, service or process is not followed as per the specification or as per the standard a non-conformance report is issued by a quality assurance specialist.
In the Coating industry, the coating specialist or the painting inspector finds and corrects coating defects. Various inspection tools and techniques are used to find defects in finished works. He ensures that the works are performed as per the specification and standards.
In other words, NCR’s allows the companies to trace process or product failures from such NCR issuance. It also, indicates where the quality improvement is required and accordingly document revision can be revised.
How to Write an NCR Report
Explain the reason for the non-compliance – in other words – What went wrong
Which work activity went wrong. What preventive and corrective measures are taken to prevent re-occurrence. – This is the root cause and corrective action
Mention the key players involved in the NCR and the clause of the specification or the standard deviation.
How to Close the NCR
After the repair works are completed in accordance with the specification and the standard, an RFI (Request for Inspections) shall be raised.
The client inspector or the one who has raised the NCR along with the respective inspectors shall inspect and accept the item.
The team needs to verify the objective evidence and confirm the same in order to close out the NCR.
The respective inspection team needs to sign out the NCR form and submit it to the quality manager for final closure.
Here are 6 tips to Prevent or Minimize NCR’s
- Ensure the policies and procedures are well written and easy to understand.
- Ensure the employees are having free access to documents.
- Regularly conduct quality meetings and encourage the employees to understand the policies and implement them accordingly.
- Update the employees on new updates and revisions in documents.
- Take the respective quality control inspectors in confidence and discuss the issues before starting any new work activity.
- Ensure that the employees are always proactive and understand clearly the quality aspects.